Keeping the Crew Happy !

International Certificate Of Competency Course



In the past, if you were chartering in Europe, an International Certificate of Competency (ICC) may have been sufficient proof of your ability to safely operate a boat.

However, it has recently been brought to our attention that a number of  European charter companies and insurance companies will not accept an ICC as sufficient proof to command a yacht for a one week bareboat charter (power or sail). These companies are insisting that the charterer should  hold an IYT International Flotilla Skipper or IYT International Bareboat Skipper, power or sail  (or equivalent qualification that is on their “approved” list).

The charter companies and insurance companies do not have a comfort level handing over an expensive yacht to someone who they feel is not sufficiently qualified to command it for a weeks duration.

Some customers have had their charters cancelled because they have only held an ICC.

It is imperative that you check with your charter company in advance of your charter to make sure that you hold the required qualifications. 

The ICC is required for operators of most vessels on both inland and coastal waters in a large part of the European Union.  Candidates who successfully complete the modules required to obtain the International Bareboat Skipper may be automatically awarded the ICC. 

Please note that each school must be approved by IYT Worldwide to offer the ICC to their students.  Only IYT schools that have been audited or inspected and are in good standing with IYT can offer the ICC certification.  We are happy to consider new school applications to offer this certificate.

The ICC is a certificate confirming that an individual is competent to the level required to meet the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Inland Water Committee (UNECE IWC) Resolution 40.

The ICC issued by IYT has been approved by the British  Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA) and by Transport Canada so that holders of the ICC (Canadian Edition) will not require a Pleasure Craft Operator Card (PCOC) to operate a pleasure boat in Canada, provided the section on “Canadian Boating Requirements” has been completed.  Holders of a current IYT ICC can “upgrade” to the Canadian Edition by completing a short course and examination. 


As you may be aware, it is now mandatory to hold a recognised International Certificate of Competency (ICC) if you wish to charter a boat in certain European countries. It is generally required for the inland and coastal waters of Mediterranean countries. In Northern Europe and Scandinavia the ICC is generally not required, but it is strongly advised to check with any European country that you wish to charter in before you leave.

The ICC is a product of the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) Resolution 40. The ICC provides documentary assurance from one government to another that the holder meets the levels of competence laid down in Resolution 40.

This page needs to be updated

ICC Course